Chronic diseases are long-standing, progressive conditions which require ongoing medical attention. These ailments can limit activities of daily living and may be addressed through medication or lifestyle changes.
Endocrinology targets diseases that concern various glands which secrete hormones. These dictate how cells and organs in our bodies behave and respond. Examples include:
- Diabetes Mellitus: covers several conditions involving issues with the body's blood glucose levels being higher than normal
- Hypothyroidism: refers to the condition of a underactive thyroid gland
- Graves’ Disease: autoimmune disorder that causes hyperthyroidism
- Hypertension: high blood pressure
Geriatric/Rehabilitation Medicine manages wide-ranging older adult illnesses. Our doctors concentrate on managing conditions such as:
- Dementia: loss of memory and cognitive abilities. With a dedicated psycho-geriatric psychiatrist in our medical team, Ninkatec can help you provide Dementia Care right at home for your elderly loved one with a peace of mind.
- Stroke: Brain injury from lack of oxygen or bleeding. Stroke Care is also a specialised service offered by Ninkatec.
Orthopaedic/ Rheumatology Medicine focuses on joint ailments in patients which may arise from medical disorders or injuries. Some conditions that arise may include:
- Gout: arthritis that happens from too much uric acid in the blood and forming sharp crystals in the joints
- Osteoarthritis: joint pain that comes with wear and tear
- Osteoporosis: bone mass loss due to a host of factors that causes bones to become weak and brittle
Psychological Medicine focuses on the management of mental and emotional problems. Examples of such conditions include:
- Depressive Disorder: medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act
- Anxiety: excessive, unrealistic worry and tension
Respiratory Medicine addresses the concerns around lung problems that may cause breathing symptoms including shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, respiratory infections. Some examples include:
- Asthma: long-term disease of the lungs. It causes your airways to get inflamed and narrow, and it makes it hard to breathe
- Chronic Obstructive Airway Disease (COPD): umbrella term used over conditions such as emphysema (damage to alveoli) and chronic bronchitis (cilia dysfunction)
- Pulmonary vascular disorders: disease affecting the blood vessels leading to or from the lungs
Urology is a field of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the urinary tract and urogenital system. Some disorders include:
- Erectile dysfunction, problem in males getting and keeping an erection, which can affect older individuals with physiological and psychological implications
- Kidney stones: usually calcium deposits in the urinary tract that may cause problems such as pain, blood in urine or infection
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia: common prostate condition in older men that causes problems such as a weak urine stream, which could lead to other bothersome urinary symptoms